1 large cauliflower head, leaves and stalks removed and chopped into florets
2 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp nutritional yeast or 1 tsp vegetable stock granules
500g lean minced lamb or beef
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large onion, diced
½ tbsp olive oil
400g can of chopped tomatoes
½ tbsp fresh or dried thyme
½ tbsp fresh or dried rosemary
200ml red wine (optional) or 200ml vegetable or beef stock
1. In a large saucepan, brown the meat for a few minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil for a few minutes and then add the carrots and herbs. Soften for a few more minutes before adding the browned meat and tomatoes. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Then add the stock, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for around 30 minutes.
3. In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 392°F and steam or boil the cauliflower until tender. Remove from the pan and place in a large food processor with the butter, garlic, nutritional yeast or dried vegetable stock. If you don’t have a food processor you can mash using a potato masher.
4. Pour the meat into a large casserole dish and then top with the cauliflower mash.
5. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until nicely browned.
6. Serve with broccoli, peas or a leafy green salad.